Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Mapping: Akai LPD8 MK2
docb-djPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Akai has a new model of the LPD8 that has multi color pad lights. I bet this is an easy mapping to update.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 22 @ 11:47 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Link of the product ?

Never mind, found it.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 22 @ 11:53 pm
Good news is that we have a LPD8 MKII here.
Bad news is that the leds on the Pads cannot be controlled via MIDI Out messages, so even if you set your preferred colors in the LPD8 Editor, you can't get the status on the leds (no on/off Messages for VDJ to send and turn the leds on/off)
So , i am afraid the device is only good as a "Drum machine".

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 2:09 pm
Thanks for the quick reply DJDAD. Shame on Akai for their design. Could have been very useful

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 9:17 pm
Actually with a little help of our friends in AKAI, we found a way to control the RGB leds of the Pads, so we will officially support the device soon.

Posted Wed 28 Dec 22 @ 12:15 am
Wow, thanks! VDJ continues to amaze me with their support and performance.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 23 @ 1:30 am
Looking at my Mk2's, I wonder if it can be made possible to remap any of the 4 mini-buttons on the lower left side.
I plan on using each LPD8 MK2 for my left and right vinyl tables to give them performance pads with a few custom buttons.

If not that's life.
Obviously, take your time to get it right.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 8:49 pm
Unfortunately, none of these buttons send any MIDI message, so cannot be mapped/used to anything.
The firmware of the device is quite poor i would say, so dont expect much from the default mapping.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 11:26 pm
Hey, I wanted to learn more about SYSEX messages so i started messing with my LPD8 MK2 out of curiosity. I'm trying to figure out how you pulled of the RGB led control inside off the VDJ definition file framework.
With wireshark I managed to figure out you need to send:

F0 47 7F 4C 06( or 05) 00 30 [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] [RR GG BB] F7

The [RR GG BB] is 6 byte long and in a 255, 255, 255 format. But the maximum value for a single byte seems to be 127 so 100% white would be:
01 7F 01 7F 01 7F

I cant figure out how to have the value roll over to the first byte when it passes 127

Posted Thu 13 Jun 24 @ 1:01 pm
You are right about the patterm.
From our Notes :
COLOR RR RR (2 bytes Red) GG GG (2 bytes Green) BB BB (2 bytes Blue) - Each color's (2 bytes - 8 bits) brightness order 00 00 , 00 01, 00 02, ... , 00 7F, 01 7F (full brightness)

Pass/Roll where ?
Are you writing some custom definition file for this device ?
You realize that you need a Pro license to use one, right ?

<text sysex="F0 47 7F 4C 06 00 00 00 etc .. without spaces">
<digit name="LED_PAD_5" iscolor="yes" nbbits="42" bitspercolor="8" offset="7" />
</text>

So you put the entire sysex="", then nest <digit>s for each RGB led, you define it's 42 bits, bitpercolor=8 (use just 8 bits instead of 14), then with iscolor=yes VDJ will smartly send each R G B value to the correct bits

Posted Thu 13 Jun 24 @ 6:24 pm
"Are you writing some custom definition file for this device ?
You realize that you need a Pro license to use one, right ?"

I'm trying hook up the ldp8 to a lighting controller for some extra knobs and buttons. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the LEDs to show the correct colours.

I'm perfect fine with the 10 min limit you have without a pro license. I'm just using virtual DJ for testing. It's the only piece of software that I know off that supports the ldp8's RGB leds changing.

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Posted Fri 14 Jun 24 @ 6:34 pm