Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rane Four VDJ Support - Page: 7
If you have four deck why do you need prelisten anyway? Just use one of the empty decks.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 2:56 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
WubLyfe wrote :

If headphones are connected to the controller, you cannot use the prelisten function. It will play audio on the deck channels instead of over the cue channel. Alternatively, you can set headphone or prelisten output to play from your PC, and connect headphones there, but then you lose the ability to hear EQ changes in cue.

WubLyfe wrote :

This, on top of the inability to hear hardware effects in cue when connected via either method, is a pretty big compromise.

I'm pretty sure this is the case for a fairly large portion of conrtollers you will look at - once the mixing is done in the hardware, VirtualDJ can only send audio to the channels available (if you look at the audio setup, the headphones/cue path is not part of those channels, so to achieve what you want, one of the actual channels for audio would have to be sacrificed, and all of them pretty much lead to master output). It is additionally unfortunate that the Rane Four doesn't seem to have a master output cue (which is probably what you need to hear the effect result after the send to/return from VirtualDJ is done).

The additional truth here is, this is probably exactly how the unit will function with Serato, and Serato does not have a prelisten function. That is why what @PhantomDeejay said is correct...it does work perfectly with VirtualDJ, because the experience is the same as what you would get if you used it with Serato when it comes to that.

To achieve what you want, you should look for controllers that let the software do the mixing...the DDJ-FLX10 and DDJ-1000 are 2 that come to mind(note the audio setup shows "Master" and "Headphones" channels explicitly, so VirtualDJ can actually control what is sent to the headphones/cue vs output to master explicitly there).

Edit: @PhantomDeejay already addressed this in detail earlier... just doubling down on his claim being true.

Ive used 6 different controllers over the years. My best experience has been with hardware mixers. The ddj-sz/rz are fantastic in hardware mode. Im just getting bored of the same mixer after close to 8 years. I am not a fan of having to swing knobs left and right when i load a song in a software mixer to keep volume levels between decks. Im old school and use eq mixing often and hardware mixers don't change volumes when loading a track on a new deck.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 3:21 pm
Neither do software ones if you turn all the gain adjustment settings off.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 3:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
burnyabad wrote :
...hardware mixers don't change volumes when loading a track on a new deck.

...? you have to gain check every single record change with vinyl, that's why I never understood the gripes, gain check and adjustment is as automatic and necessary as breathing coming from vinyl.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 5:23 pm
WubLyfe wrote :

I suppose we have different definitions of what "works perfectly" means. To me it means all functionality provided by VDJ can be utilized by the hardware. (not sure that controller exists)

Well,
A works perfect with B doesn't necessarily mean that B works perfect with A

I wrote that RANE FOUR works "perfect" with VirtualDJ, meaning that all the functions it offers (as a hardware unit) are mapped and utilized by VirtualDJ. It also means that all the hidden firmware stuff are known and utilized when and as needed for optimal operation.

This means that the controller is "maxed out" and used to it's full protentional by VirtualDJ.
As you can understand, the opposite statement is almost never true.
A controller most likely will never be able to "max out" the features of the software and "use" every single feature the software has to offer.

PS: Hardware effects on Rane Four are "post fader" which means you cannot prelisten them, unless you engage them "live" on air.
Same rule applies for software effects as well, on ALL controllers if they are set as post fader.
You can prelisten software effects only if you set them to pre fader mode.
Finally, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "prelistening EQ"
All EQ changes are audible on headphones, no matter if HP MIX is set to CUE or MAIN.

The ONLY thing that Rane FOUR had and was stupid IMHO, was the pre-fader master VU meters.
The master VU meters would show how hot the signal is BERFORE the master volume knob adjustment. Which is a nice option if you are an audio engineer, but useless if you are a working DJ.
Latest firmware fixed that, and now the master VU is POST fader. In other words it shows how hot is the signal that's leaving the controller and goes to your amps.
PS: You can switch between pre and post fader master VU meters via the device's menu now. So, if you like the "audio engineer" way of things, you can still have it.

Posted Tue 18 Jun 24 @ 7:49 pm